do i really have to share?

8.27.2013

Lakai starts back to preschool next week and it is a little bittersweet. The past few months I've been able to relish in him...

7:30 am Lakai sneaks down the stairs, ninja style, like a snake (umm, yes these are two different things, I know). I hear a little giggle and go running to the bottom of the stairs to greet his sweet smile. He jumps into my arms and we sit, ever so still, for just a moment so I can breathe him in.

7:40 am We discuss what to make for breakfast. Correction, Lakai states he wants pancakes for breakfast. I try to sell him on something else. I make pancakes.

8:20 am Lakai and Chubby hop in the bath. Lakai fills a bath boat with water and pours it on Chubby's belly while saying, "mmmm, maple syrup." Clearly he loves pancakes. I suds the boys up, Lakai tried to convince me his hair does not need washing and I convince him that I can only do silly hair-dos with bubbles. It works. He is clean. Lakai will play in the bath until he appears to be a 90 year old man. We giggle about how wrinkly his hands and feet are.

9:10 am Lakai picks up a toy from his room, brings it into our room, plays with it for 37 seconds, sets it down on our floor and repeats at least 25 times. I fold laundry.

The next fews hours are filled with play dates, running errands, working, napping, and just about whatever else we can fit in. Oh, and sometimes this is when I attempt to get ready for the day.

3:00 pm Lakai throws a fit because he didn't want lunch, but now he wants a, "yittle treat." I say not until he eats something good that will help him be strong like daddy. He cries and says his belly isn't telling him he is hungry for something healthy. We repeat the conversation three times. At this point in the day I know he is tired.

3:15 pm I find a reason to get in the car and drive in hopes he will fall asleep. My attempt fails.

5:00 pm I call Ryan and ask when he is going to be home.

5:30 pm Ryan walks in the door and I lay on the floor of the living room exhausted.

6:30 pm We eat dinner. We try to convince our picky eater that veggies will turn him into a super hero. He is too smart and our attempt fails. We succeed in getting Lakai to eat his chicken.

7:00 pm Lakai starts to wind down and becomes cuddly. This is one of my favorite parts of the day. It makes the bumps in our day fade away.

Somewhere between 8:30 and, ummm later than I want to admit (we are on summer sleep schedule which has resulted in a horrible lack of an actual bedtime). Lakai snuggles with us in our bed. During the day Ryan and I say he will be moved to his room, but we just can't help it. We love his warm little body near us. He won't be "yittle" for long and I can't bare watching him get so big so fast.Chubby is on my right, snuggled into my chest and Lakai is on my left, breathing ever so softly onto my arm. Ry snuggles in and I feel full and ready to repeat the next day.

I'm going to miss him while he learns and grows, but I know this is what he needs and he will astonish us with his smarts. Last year he loved seeing his friends and telling me stories from the day. I can't wait for that to be added back into our schedule. I cherish that in this moment he loves talking to me and asking questions. I know that there will be a day when this isn't so. I know there will be a day when I ask him how school was and he will say, "good." and then I'll ask what he learned and he will say, "I can't remember." and a little piece of my heart will break. It will only be temporary I know, but right now I'm going to soak him all up. I'm going to savor this last week before I have to start sharing him again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger